Thursday, January 31, 2008

Roadenedbay Orizonshay

There's something so awesome/stinky about getting into something that pushes you.  
I love my major and my crazy amazing school.  I'm studying stuff that I'm generally good at and pick up fairly easily so as far as classroom behavior goes, I'm generally confident and a full participating student.  So I'm going along in my classes- do do do, singing life away, and then I think "hm, I should try something different - THAT would be a really cool class, I should TRY it!"  So once a week I go and sit in a classroom of composers (not my major) and try to grasp  concepts that I've barely heard about much less used myself.  My class mates, in their casual dress shirts, khakis and sneakers artistically ask questions that refer to genres of music I've never heard of, composers I've never listened to, and instruments I didn't know existed. Then my teacher proceeds to answer with the phrase "EVery body KNOWS..." and then continues speaking in what seems to me to be fluent ancient Mayan....ok I'm exaggerating....it's more like an elementary piglatin. I listen, take notes, devour my textbook like a starving hyena and pray that somehow I'll have the guts to ask a question. Thankfully I passed my first semester... by an inch, BUT it is a wonderful experience and I will never regret stepping outside of the box A LITTLE. Maybe next time I step out I can find out what ancient Maya really sounds like and why my proffessor keeps calling me Alerievay.  :S

No comments: