Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Intersections

I live in Boston.  Weird  I know. Well, weird for me.  All you long-haul bostonians may feel differently but for me, this is one place I never would have pictured myself living.  Utah is home, always has been, always would have been...until lately.  But that's a whole 'nother post.  Boston is foreign.  No car, no house, no cat, no Mom, no Dad and a big hole in my heart where my sisters should be.  No mountains, no high school friends, no nature center by my elementary school, and what I miss most of all....a 360 degree view of the sky from anywhere.    

But tonight I loved this city.  I felt at home in the city.  I walked up from the rumbling tunnel at the Hynes Convention Center Stop, my new tennis shoe boots bounced along as I bobbed my head to the tune Jon (Mayer) was crooning in my ear.  I sang along, not caring (on purpose) what anyone around me thought of my animated lipsinking. And as I reached the intersection of Mass Ave. and Boylston I looked up.  The moon was brighter than ever against the black sky, and the stars smiled down from constellations that I've never learned.  They seemed to spread away from each other, reminding me of how much of the sky I could see from that spot.  I saw my worlds connect from the same blanketed sky that I've always looked to for a glimpse of divinity in my home town.  

I turned in a circle with my face to the sky, remembering moments from years gone by with these same heavenly witnesses present.  And I felt so grateful.  I realized that I will always have the important things- I'll have my Mom, my Dad, my friends, my siblings, my nieces and nephews, my heart, my likes and dislikes, the sky, and God.  They may be invisible temporarily, just like the sky hidden by the skyscrapers of a big city.  But it's at those times of change, and decision that they become clear again. It's at the intersection that you finally see the sky........ 

........don't forget to look up ;) 

3 comments:

Kelly Jean said...

Ah. Val! Look at you! Starting a blog :D That's great. Wonderful description of the night/epiphany. Aren't those moments the best? (Love the background [of your blog page] by the way... great minds think alike??) Love ya girl!

Katie W. said...

Guess what WE LIVE IN BOSTON! There have been many times when I have felt like this. Wonderful. Also I really like the whole idea of having a blog, it really is so beautiful that anything, anything at all can be written and sent out into the universe!

vallarsen49 said...

the UNIVERSE!!