Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Rude?

Have you ever been called rude? Just straight up had someone say 'you're rude' or 'that was rude. And not like joking but looking you right in the eye and give you the bad news.  That happened tonight and the saddest thing about it is I can't think about this situation and say to myself-" that's not true, you didn't do anything wrong, they're just offended and it's not your fault. "  But I really had to think about it hard and try to determine whether or not I really had done something truly dishonest, or hurtful, or dangerous.  Perhaps inconsiderate-but only out of scattered schedules, too many balls to juggle, and a last minute decision of what's probably best for me.     

I also consider at the same time, what good does it do for them to say that? What good does it do any of us to throw out a hurtful term, even if it may be true? What's that lyric "words can hurt you, if you let them.  People say them and forget them." Those words stick with me, thrown out so easily by another. It's likely that she will forget those much sooner than I ever will.  I suppose I'm learning- reassessing my own actions and wondering: how can I do this better? how can I avoid fulfilling the title newly placed upon me? How can I be clean of it forever? And how can I right the situation without choosing a different option that's ultimately not what I really want or think is best? What does the Lord want me to do? 

I know this is all kind of vague, and not something that anyone can give specific advice for... but if you have any thoughts, I'd be happy to hear them.  :) 

No comments: