Saturday, December 11, 2010

Dear Husband...

I was watching The Prince of Egypt today. I love that movie. And two scenes touched my heart so much. First, Moses' vision of the burning bush. I love the rendition in this movie because the way God is portrayed is that of a being of power and authority, and then He finishes His message to Moses with great love and it looks like Moses is being engulfed in that love all around him. It's a visual component in the movie that represents the way it feels to have the Lord's arms around you. If you've never had that feeling I'm telling you, it's the best feeling you will ever feel. It's like a hug from your mom after not seeing her for months and months that starts in your heart and radiates through every part of you. And all you feel is joy. Some people cry when they feel it (usually girls and always me). And then you know it's real. You know God is REAL, because you feel it. If you seek that feeling, it'll come, I promise. You have to believe it will, and then it will.

The Second scene that got me is right after the first. Moses runs to his wife, full of excitement for the things he's just experienced. He tells her everything that's just happened. And it made me think of what that means to have a spouse, a life partner, a best friend... who knows. Who has felt those things, who wants to know and seeks to know God. That being of light. The source of goodness. The source of Joy. The portrayal of Moses' excitement reminded me of something I've always wanted to do but wondered if I would look back at it and think it was dumb. But I feel really inspired about it so I'm gonna go ahead.

Dear Husband,

Wherever you are today I hope you're well. If I have met you- what are you waiting for? If not, I'm looking forward to it. I want to have a good relationship, a real one where we talk about everything and work to find the happy mediums without compromising what we know is right. I want to give you all of myself, and feel like you're giving me all of yourself back. I want to be part of your relationship with God, and I want you to be part of mine. I want to have children with you and parent them equally. I want each of us to be individuals, and to find our ways in the world, and still stand side by side. I want to know that you are mine forever, and that no matter what happens we'll be together for eternity. I want to kneel accross the temple altar with you and make our great promise. I want to laugh with you, a lot, more than I do now. I want to know your family and have you know mine. I want to grow old with you and make fun of each others frailties, keeping in mind that we won't always have broken bodies. I want to pray with you morning and night, study the Lord's word with you, stand with you as a Father and Mother in Israel, teaching our children the beautiful things that have made our lives so happy. I love you. I miss you. I know you're special. Not too soon, not too late, it'll be just right. It won't be perfect, but I know we're gonna have a lot of fun. Until then, be wise, walk your path with strength, diligence, humility and a willingness to grow. Everything you need to know will be given to you little by little. Be patient with yourself. See you soon!

Love,
your wife,
Val

4 comments:

kelli said...

Um, this may or may not have made me cry a little. I love you :)

Kelly Jean said...

Love it. And so will he. :)

vallarsen49 said...

Well you ladies give me hope! I don't know Nick very well but I grew up with Jo and you got yourself a catch of a man and a catch of a family ;) Thank you Kell girls. I love you a million!!

Meggara said...

I LOVE THE PRINCE OF EGYPT!! val it was the only movie we could watch on my mission and i cried every time that burning bush part happened. i'm so glad someone else understands :)