Thursday, December 9, 2010

Christmas Cabaret... I love the Church

Last night was my first performance in NEW YORK!! AH! Crazy. We had our Christmas Cabaret, it went really well and was really fun. I learned a lot of things from it. 1st that organization is SO IMPORTANT when you're making your own show (or when you're doing anything for that matter). 2nd, to trust myself onstage - I am entertaining... ha. That's sounds funny. 3rd- Meet everyone you can and have a great time doing it. 4th- AND MOST IMPORTANTLY- MARKETING IS KEY! We really didn't even fill up half the house... WHAT?! We had an awesome show and no one came. Why?? Here are some reasons I think we didn't fill it up and ways that we could avoid that problem in the future.

1- More than facebook. - taylor your marketing materials to a specific demographic and post them where that demographic will see them.

2- Images and marketing materials - rather than functioning on a "come because you're my friend" basis, focus marketing materials in a way that those who see those materials will A) want to be your friend and B) want to see your show regardless of whether they're your friend or not.

3-Lower cover charge cutting Production costs - We paid a director who did an AMAZING job. But if we could find someone with a lower rate, or direct it ourselves the cover charge would be more affordable for our audience, ensuring higher attendance. We could also try to find a cheaper venue that didn't require a drink minimum or 21 and up restrictions (rough in this town but maybe with some research...).

4- It was a Wednesday at 7. Nice that it was early, but not very many people could come and a weekend is better.

5- Confidence and Enthusiasm for a) your venue and b) YOUR SHOW!!! There's a big difference between "hey I'm in a show it's like got me in it. It's not a big deal. It's like a lot of money to get in and you have to buy drinks. Ya I know, that's ok if you can't make it. I'll be in other things later," and "Hey guess what I'm in a show. I'm really excited for it, I've totally enjoyed putting it together. It's a $15 cover and a 2 drink minimum at an amazing venue called the AWESOME. I'd really love it if you would come. Here's a postcard with a link to our "sneak peak". So-and-so said they were going.... blah blah blah... amazing....fun...woo hoo!" If you're not excited about it why should they be?

6- GO TO OTHER PEOPLE'S SHOWS!! - This one could be the biggest of all. This is the one that I require the most improvement in, which is exciting because that means I'll be going to see more awesomeness. When you support someone and invest in their work, they are much more likely to invest in yours.

I've been a little "rusty" on the spiritual side lately. The last few days I've been running around and not really had a second to sit and read my scriptures the way I like to and not praying as often as I usually do. But today I got up and read and prayed. I opened up my conference Ensign Magezine and as soon as I started reading I immediately felt like a large weight was lifted off my chest, and like a light had been lit in my heart. And I recognized that feeling of peace and love and light and I thought "I LOVE the Church. I LOVE the gospel. I wouldn't give up feeling this feeling daily for ANYTHING." It feels so good!!

Then as I went running with my roommate Kristy, I felt it again, and I recognized the Spirit that she carries with her. I've been spending the last couple days with amazing people, people I love who have helped me through so many tough times, but the environments we were in didn't have the spirit, and some of the people we were around didn't have the Spirit. But Kristy has the spirit. Ideas of ways I could change for the better started to come more clearly to my head. I also had a lot more belief in myself that I could accomplish them. It also felt great to run, I actually think exercise and care for our bodies does amazing things for our Spirits and our Spirituality, not to mention how beautiful nature does the same and we were running in the one and only Central Park.

I thought again as we were running "I love being with people who have the Spirit, who have light. I LOVE the Church, I LOVE the Gospel. I freakin' LOVE being a Mormon!!! I love the feeling I feel when I read Conference, or the Book of Mormon, Or the Bible, or the Doctrine and Covenants. Or when I pray and get an answer. Or seeing my family do the same. EVERYONE SHOULD DO IT. EVERYONE I KNOW DESERVES TO BE THIS HAPPY."

So to everybody out there- I recommend highly the following:

Praying everyday about lots of things,
Reading the Scriptures and finding out for yourself if they're true by praying about them: the Bible, The BOOK OF MORMON (I LOVE IT SO MUCH!!!), the Doctrine and Covenants.
Exercising regularly and eating good things :)
Sharing what you love with other people
Getting to knew Jesus yourself, and not just what everyone else says about Him.

I PROMISE, doing just one of these in addition to whatever else you do will boost your happiness. ESPECIALLY if you BELIEVE it will. Lots of love and all the BEST life has to offer
-Val

1 comment:

Ellen Irion said...

You make me smile :)
all so true!
Can't wait to see you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yay CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!