Tuesday, November 16, 2010

unedited

I reach my arms high
my crinkled limbs filling with energy and being stretched to full capacity
like a spider's leg zoomed in, slow motion

I drop my torso to the floor
the weight of my head
my hamstrings wince as I renew the flexibility that lives
in a body that once stretched beyond its current capacity

I look forward in the mirror
I look sideways in the mirror
there's is more of me than there once was
and I'm not upset
I'm beautiful
I accept the process ahead

the speed increases
I feel that familiar warmth
the warmth of a beat
of a verse
a chorus
a verse
a chorus
an arm to swing
a beat to hit
a line to stretch
the raspy feeling in my esophagus that reminds me of the joy it is to breathe quickly
and to sweat out the past and clean your insides

And always back to the music
music
music
music
music!!!!
HOW CAN I FEEL SO MUCH!?

It's amazing.
What is it?
Why is it that way?
Why do our hearts beat together when we hear a note?
Why do I love the dissonance of a suspension SO MUCH!
Or why is vocal rest so hard?
What makes me sing?
I know I always come back to God, but it's the biggest thing I can use to relate the physical, spiritual experience of music to.
It just testifies to me that we are MORE than we think
I am more than I think
and I touch that, when I listen,
when I sing
when I play
when I move
when I CREATE!!

Is that it?
Is it the creation?
Is that why art means so much to us?
To see the work of our own hands.

We are creators.
I am a creator.
I make things
I light fires,
I inspire tears,
feelings,
numbness,
I thank all the powers
and light
and energy
and universal love
goodness
pleasure

for that.

For the will
the inspiration
the tools
the ability
and the opportunity
to create.

No comments: