Saturday, July 25, 2009

BEACH BOYS, cooking and relationships

Tonight I heard the Beach Boys play totally live in person. It was awesome. The night was perfect too. Perfect temperature, nice little breeze, I was chillin with my sweet neighbors from Apt. 25 next door- they're so funny and amazing. After the concert we all walked back by the river, then Alex gave me a lime so I wouldn't have to buy one. Which was really nice of her and makes us better friends now.

Tomorrow there's a potluck after church I'm taking potato wedges to :). I found a recipe online for pepper lime pototato wedges, supposedly it's the way they do potatoes in New Zealand...cool right? I'm gonna give it a try. I really like the website I got it off of. It's a blog where the girl writes about her life experiences and includes a cool healthy recipe at the end of each post. Then she has all the recipes catalogued by name or ingredient on the side. She's also a fabulous photographer, so all the stuff she does looks amazing, and all the food she cooks looks even better. But what I really like about it is she talks about living experiences. Moments w/people, doing things that bring them closer together. That's what it's all about.

I was inspired by it. So instead of going grocery shopping tonight, I went to the Beach Boys with my neighbors. Because Relationships are what matter. Relationships are the reason we do everything else that we do. LIke work for example- we work to make money, so we can support our families, so we can all stay alive and be together. Life is about BEING TOGETHER. And that's what I learned today. :). I sure love life. It's wonderful.

O here's the link to that blog I told you about:

http://www.101cookbooks.com/about/


And the recipe for the Potatoes ;)-

Black Pepper and Lime Oven Fries

1 1/2 pounds small potatoes, cut into wedges
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
sea salt
freshly ground pepper
1 lime
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 375, oven racks in the middle.

In a medium bowl toss the potato wedges with the olive oil, a few big pinches of sea salt and five or six cranks of the pepper grinder. Arrange the potatoes cut side down on a baking sheet. Place in the oven for 30-35 minutes, tossing the potatoes with a metal spatula half way through.

While the potatoes are baking, zest the lime and cut it into a few wedges.

When the potatoes are cooked through, remove them from the oven, taste, and adjust the seasoning. Add more salt and pepper to taste (don't skimp on the pepper!). Serve in a big shallow bowl, or on a platter, drizzled with lime juice and dusted with the lime zest and Parmesan.

Serves 4 - 6.

No comments: