Sunday, July 26, 2009

Auditions, Decisions, Trust and Faith :)

This week was pretty good. Started with working hard, a little Family Home evening where we played woofel ball-( a favorite childhood past time. Nothing like some good woofel ball in the back yard with my siblings. We kept losing the ball over the fence, but the neighbor kids conveniently kicked down a few boards to solve that problem. I'm sure we helped in that endeavor but I don't specifically remember that. But it was a well established pathway. Eventually our mothers gave into the idea and consented to concrete slabs by the hole that gave it legitimacy as entrance- good times, good memories).

In the middle of the week I got an audition at A.R.T. for a 70s disco show called The Donkey Show. A.R.T. is kind of a big deal and the director has an amazing resume so I was way excited. I was supposed to go to New York right after with some friends from the ward. But while auditioning they liked me enough to all but beg me not to go (awesome right???). I consented to stay, planning to catch a bus to New York the next day and meet up with friends then. As I thought about the show and everything I had learned about it, I knew it wasn't an appropriate choice for me. It was scantily costumed, the content was centered and drugs and other badness, and I thought I might pull out of the callback. But after some thought and prayer, I felt good about at least being seen by Diane Paulus, the Tony- award- winning artistic director (right? check out her resume she's amazing. She brought her little girls to the call back too- ADORABLE)

So I went the next day, and it went really really well. They were auditioning me as a swing, so I basically got to showcase a lot of work for them. I sang, I danced a lot, and they had me improv A LOT which was really fun. I enjoyed the callback immensely. I also got to meet and catch up with a lot of great performers from the area, which was fun. Afterwards there was an interview. This was the nerve racking part, I needed to tell them I couldn't do it for moral reasons, which I hoped they would understand.

So in the interview Allegra (assistant Director) told me more about the show, and all the new info confirmed my feelings that it wasn't the right thing for me. And when I finally told her about being conservative and not being comfortable with some of these things, she reacted so well. She said it didn't mess up future opportunities, it was great that I knew my world, they were sad to lose me in the production (not that they were necessarily offering me anything but still). In short she was very complimentary and said future opportunities would be great for me.

I went that night to the production they were showing of Aurelia's Oratorio- which was SO GOOD. It was clever and witty and fabulous. I would recommend it to anyone. It was also totally clean which was a great contrast to the audition I'd just come from. :). I got to see a lot of wholesome entertainment this week, which always buoys me up.

So I left feeling great about it. And I have to give credit to the Lord. I was going to chicken out and go to New York, but He helped me feel good about at least going to the callback. Who knows what will happen now, but I'm really grateful for His help this week, with EVERYTHING. I'm so blessed with love, family, friends, an amazing body that is somehow full of talent that I don't deserve. I love Him for His gifts. He is good and great!

4 comments:

Chase said...

wow, that must have been so amazing and I'm amazed at your confidence in every angle of this experience. I hope i does open a door for you, somewhere down the road, at the right time.

kelli said...

Oh, Val. I always knew you were amazing!! Look at you go, girl! I admire you greatly. I'm so happy for you! Good luck!

Sami said...

Oh, congratulations Val! You are so talented, and I love how strong and grounded you are in your testimony. You are such a wonderful example. I miss you honey, and I hope things are going wonderfully for you.

Kelly Jean said...

Val, Val, Val. I sure do love you. Always a strong-spirit who pays attention to & respects your feelings. So inspiring. I love that you were able to see the Beach Boys LIVE!!! That must've been amazing! And I've always thought you'd make it to Broadway... still stand by that! You're so very talented. I'm just honored to call you my "sis" :)